Birding in Queen Elizabeth National Park – Uganda Safari News
Queen Elizabeth National Park is by no doubt the only national park in East Africa with the largest number of bird species. Within the boundaries of this 1 978 sq. km Uganda safari park are about 600 identified bird species. Classified as an Important Birding Area (IBA) by Birding International, Queen Elizabeth National Park Uganda has the largest bird checklist of any protected area in East Africa with over 600 bird species recorded within its boundaries. This is the greatest of any East African national park making Uganda safaris or birding tours Uganda a must visit destination for passionate birders. Several birds in the park are regarded as specials within East Africa yet as well the park offering chance to sight several East as well as Central African species.
Within the confines of the park are numerous water birds, woodland and forest bird species found in the Maramagambo Forest. The swamp areas in the Ishasha sector are a good place to look out for the elusive Shoebill stork. About 54 raptors as well can be found in the park alongside various migratory species. Migratory birds are present from November to April. If you are interested in seeing migratory birds on Uganda birding safari, safari Uganda in the months of November to April and get the chance to glimpse on several species including the lesser flamingos.
Bird species in Queen Elizabeth National Park
As stated, Queen Elizabeth National Park is home to a numerous number of bird species inclusive of which are the Martial Eagle, Black-rumped Buttonquail, African Skimmer, Chapin’s Flycatcher, Pink backed Pelican, African Broadbill, Verreaux’s Eagle Owl, Black Bee-eater, White-tailed Lark, White-winged Warbler, Papyrus Gonolek, Papyrus Canary, Corncrake, Lesser and Greater Flamingo, Shoebill, Bar-tailed Godwit, the thin-tailed Nightjars.
Other bird species include Spur-winged Plovers, Squacco Heron, African Fish Eagle, White backed Pelicans, Long tailed Cormorants, African Jacana, Yellow backed Weavers, Open-billed Stork, Water-Thick knee, Pied kingfishers, Wattled Plovers, the Black Crake and the Knob-billed Ducks especially seen along the Kazinga Channel. The White -spotted fluff tail is spotted along the waters.
Forest species that you can see on your Uganda birding tour to Queen Elizabeth National Park include; the Grey Wood pecker, black & African Emerald Cuckoos, Hairy breasted Barbet, speckled Tinker bird, the purple-headed starling as well as the Green Hylia.
Best time for birding in Queen Elizabeth National Park
Every time of the year can be birding time however, the finest timing to enjoy bird watching within Queen Elizabeth is from December up to February. For great experiences, at least choose to spend about 2-3 days within the park such that you can sight several bird species and have a large count.
Queen Elizabeth National Park isn’t only home to birds but also one of the popular Uganda wildlife safari destination because of the numerous wildlife including the highest population of hippopotami in Africa within the kazinga Channel. On a visit to Queen Elizabeth National Park, many tourists also tailor their safaris with a Uganda gorilla trekking safari to Bwindi Impenetrable National Park.
Top Uganda Safaris Tour Packages
Such a great destination to visit, Uganda offers several safaris and these popular tours are the best to choose from when planning to tour Uganda.
- 3 days Gorilla trekking safari in Uganda
- 3 Days Uganda Gorilla Trekking Safari to Bwindi
- 1 day Jinja tour excursion
- 1 Day Tour Ngamba Island Chimps
- 1 Day Kampala City Tour
- 3 Days Queen Elizabeth Park Safari Uganda
- 2 Days Wildlife safari in Uganda Queen Elizabeth
- 4 Days Wildlife Safari in Uganda to Queen Elizabeth National Park
- 3 Days Murchison Falls Safari Uganda
- 2 Days Murchison Falls safari Uganda
- 7 Days Uganda Budget Wildlife Safari Tour to Murchison Falls
- 3 Days Uganda Gorilla tour to Mgahinga Gorilla National Park
- 2 Days Uganda Safari to Lake Mburo National Park
- 3 Days Uganda Safari to Lake Mburo National Park
- 2 Days Chimpanzee Trekking Safari
- 5 days Wildlife and Chimpanzee Safari in Uganda
- 3 Days Chimpanzee trekking safari in Kibale Uganda
- 4 Days Wildlife Chimpanzee Safari
- 5 Days Gorilla and Wildlife Safari in Uganda
- Uganda Gorilla Trekking Tour
- 10 Days Uganda Gorillas Chimps Safari
- 4 Days Uganda Gorilla Trekking and Wildlife Safari
- Uganda Gorilla Safari
- 6 days Uganda Gorilla Tracking safari
- 13 Days Uganda Rwanda Safari
- 8 Days Uganda safari tours
- 9 Days Uganda Safari
- 3 days Uganda Safari to Kidepo National Park